Judy Lake
Not MY class but you get the picture
Judy's shop
Ormsby Hill Inn
The LibraryI just returned from Pawlet, VT. Rob and I went on a little vacation while my parents, Jennifer, and Kelley watched the girls. It was so nice... The reason I went there was to take a class about covering lampshades. It was a GREAT class! I loved the woman who offered it and the other 7 women who attended the class were fabulous! Especially the one with the English accent and who likes to work in her garden. The town of Pawlet was very small, but full of character and characters. The biggest character being Judy. She's so upbeat and open. A great person who seems to be the central personality in the small community. Her store is the size of my sunroom, so tiny. She had the door open, the weather was beautiful and every Tom, Dick, and Harry dropped in on her. The woman from the adoption agency, telling her that her best friend had just adopted a baby, the man across the way who has an art gallery, several women stopping in to chat. It was darling. It was a feel good place because they seemed to know each other and care about each other. I told Judy that she should run for mayor.
While I was at the class Rob checked us in at The Ormsby Hill Inn. The Inn is a beautiful bed and breakfast and over two centuries old (1764), complete with exposed beams, wood floors, and beautiful fireplaces. It was even used as a jail at one point in time. We stayed in the "Library" room. It was seriously a step back in time. It was the most welcoming, romantic, warm room I'd ever been in. It was an experience in itself just to stay in that room. Like you were a part of history, what I would've given to have period clothing, ok I wouldn't go that far. The fireplace, the big billowy bed aaahhhh....
We ate at two good restaurants, Bistro Henry and Zoey's Double Hex. We visited
Woodstock (not NY), Weston, Sharon, Pawlet, and Manchester (where the restaurants and inn were) among others.
Woodstock was an old town with lots of charm. Weston was a Walnut Grove kind of cute. Sharon was touching because it was Joseph Smith's birthplace. Pawlet, I've already talked about and Manchester was a nice ski resort town with lots of outlet shopping.
The one thing that surprised me about Vermont was how economically depressed it seemed. A large number of the houses there seemed to be in terrible shape. Some seriously seemed unliveable with so much garbage all over the property. It may very well be due to the harsh winters there, or the fact that we visited during "muddy season" when everything melts into spring and creates. . .you guessed it, mud! I couldn't see what they would do for work because so many houses were miles away from civilization. It was really eye opening and I'm glad I got to go, because now I know that Rob got a job offer there I'd never go.
5 comments:
Great time, honey! I highly recommend the mini-moon. Sleeping past 6 or 5 or 4 or whatever time our kids decide to wake us up was a big plus.
I'm in such panic mode with the "if Rob ever got a job offer" comment that I can't really concentrate on the great entry. What a fun time! Getaways really are the BEST.
Rest assured my friend, there was no meaning in it whatsoever!
So cool! I love your descriptions I can picture the place so so well! i am jealous you got to go make me a shade!
Post a Comment