As I mentioned we went to Sharon, VT. I was so glad that Rob suggested that we drive to Joseph Smith's birthplace Sunday morning. We arrived at a little visitors center on a secluded mountainside. It was a really nice visit. Several things I found really interesting about Joseph Smith was that he, Emma, the George Bush's, Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon, and Winston Churchill all had the same great, great etc...grandfather. I remember President Hinckley presenting Pres. George W. Bush with his family tree during a visit, I wonder if George felt at all honored to be related to Joseph Smith.
The tour guide told us several stories about Joseph Smith's family, there was one story about his grandfather that nearly put me over the edge... but all in all I came away remembering how much I love him and what a remarkable man he was and still is. I'm so grateful for all he's done for me, and for his example of what faith can pull you through. Rob remarked that we were visiting the birthplace of the second most important man to ever walk the earth. That of course got me thinking about Jesus Christ and how humble his birthplace was. The tour guide talked about how Joseph knew suffering from a very young age. She also said that the suffering made him who he was, and then I thought about the Lord, and I wondered what his childhood was like. It was humbling to spend a Sunday afternoon thinking and reflecting about two lives that have changed my life forever and whom I could never thank enough.

1 comments:
How neat. I so love the church history sites. We really need to do them full force one time. Very interesting facts about J.S. Also, all the pictures of VT are so quaint and charming.
Post a Comment