Several years ago I was visiting Jennifer. I lived in Las Vegas and always looked forward to the beauty and shade of the east. Jennifer lived in the middle of a forest. She lived in a small two story house that was cozy and charming. There were low ceilings, a steep staircase, big wooden doors, a wooden built-in bed, a free standing bathtub, and hanging flowers. It was like nowhere I had ever stayed before.
At that point in my life it was well known that I was a hopeless romantic, I even had two friends write stories about my condition in their college courses. Needless to say, Jennifer's cottage in the middle of a dreamy forest was all I needed to be "perfectly content." I used to think "wouldn't it be perfect to fall in love here?" But that's another story.
Jennifer mentioned that she had borrowed a movie from her mother-in-law and that we could watch it. It was Pride and Prejudice and it was six tapes long. That sounded like it was right up my alley. The only other Pride and Prejudice I had seen was the old black and white one and that was in high school. I was definitely game. We turned it on and for six straight hours we watched; our behinds glued to our chairs and our eyes glued to Mr. Darcy. We sat there grinning and often we would look at each other in disbelief. We were overwhelmed!
To this day I can't get over how the producers, directors, etc... thought of everything. The cast was UNBELIEVABLY suited for their roles, the settings were magnificent, the screenplay was so like the book, and their clothing and color schemes were superb!
What's funny, is one day I was looking around my house and realized that I had the same color schemes as the movie. Greenish blues, browns, golds, with some of Lucas Lodge's pink thrown in. I've always loved this particular time period, but it was interesting to see how this movie had possibly influenced my personal style.
Pride and Prejudice has always had a way of calming me down, cheering me up, and making me feel like all is right with the world. I enjoy turning it on just to hear their voices while I do things around the house. It's my all time favorite movie! Thanks BBC!

8 comments:
I too grew up watching six hourse of this wonderful movie. I made my husband watch it (all six) a couple of years ago and although he protested the whole way through at the end he actually liked it. That Darcy Wow.
Great post! I would have loved to watch this movie in Nellie. I would still love to LIVE in nellie. I loved that place, and P&P would be wonderful to watch there. You know I agree with you on Darcy!
You DID watch it in Nellie Jayne! Remember when you and Mitch kept arguing and dad made you get out of the room?
What's wrong with me? I was there for the showing too, but I kept leaving the room to talk to jason who was in Utah on the phone. I just didn't want to sit down and watch it.
It's because of you (and Sandra) that I'm reading Austen's novels! I haven't seen this movie, but I'll wait till I'm done with the book to see it (I did the same with S&S. I'm on chapter 26 of P&P). I am enjoying the novel a lot!
Love Pride and Prejudice!!! I think every romantic girl out there loves it... Mr. Darcy is so dreamy. Paola, you can borrow the movies if you want, I have them all.
I'm so glad Paola that I had something to do with introducing you to Jane Austen. Now, let me introduce you to Colin Firth (Mr Darcy). The long P&P is seriously just like the book.
You have such good memories. What a great recreation of a WONDERFUL time in Nellie. Dreamland.
Post a Comment