I've heard several people say that of all the fifty states, Maryland is the most like England. And if you didn't already know, I love England. That being said...
The first time I flew over Maryland I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Thick groves of trees as far as I could see. I was nineteen and it was my first time on an airplane. I was with my brother John, we were flying out to be with Jennifer and Nick. We were all going to work at the Markoff's summer camp for the summer. I was going to receive training as a lifeguard and swimming instructor as soon as the plane touched down. And that's what happened. Mary had arranged for me to be picked up and taken to Roanoke, VA with the rest of the pool staff that needed certification. It was so strange to be in a car of strangers headed to a place I'd never been on the opposite side of the country. It was good though, and nice to have such an adventure.
Roanoke was cold. We had to swim all the different swimming strokes in an outside pool. It was June, but it felt like late fall. There I was trying to act like I knew what I was doing, all the while freaking out because I had no idea that the breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly, crawl etc... even existed. I knew only one stroke and that was "swim." I've always loved swimming, I spent my summers swimming in my grandma and grandpa's pool. I beat my dad in a race when I was 12 (He probably let me win) but ever since then, I felt like I was good at it.
After a week of swimming my guts out we drove back to Maryland. I arrived at the Markoff's and was greeted by the lady of the house, the infamous Mary. She showed me where the food was and as always made me feel like part of the family.
I was to sleep in the Markoff's basement with Jennifer, and Anjie. It was great! I have so many fond memories of my time living in a basement in Maryland. I remember being introduced to amazing music, our nations history, Chief would take us to the Naval Academy shows, and D.C. had it all.
But... my favorite memories were the nights that we would turn Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" on and eat outside on Chief and Mary's deck. The sun would fade and soon it would be pitch black. That is the part I loved. I would sit on the glider and stare out at the trees that surrounded the house. That's when the most magical thing would occur. Little flashes of light would light up the trees. Twinkles here and there. The darker it got outside the more flashes I could see. It reminded me of a picture I had seen of a dark stadium during the Olympics, all you could see were the flashing of cameras. It's hard to believe that my most memorable moments in Maryland came absolutely free.
And so began my love for fireflies. I usually pretend they're fairies, I bet most girls do.


6 comments:
Hi Jill, Great to hear from you. I have been thinking about you guys for years now and finally found a way to get in touch. I have been looking at your site and your daughters are beautiful. My husband and I were just in D.C. for a week and I wanted so badly to find out where you all are but couldn't find anything. Oh well we will have to do it again. email me if you get a chance and I will give you my phone number. My email is jbirman@cox.net. again it is so great to finally find you all. I miss the Miller family's humor. We are doing great here. It is like mini Utah in Gilbert and our ward is very strong but it is hotter than a bad word here.
Shannon
I loved that post! I kept getting cold chills. I remember the first time seeing Fireflies I was taken back, i thought they were so neat! I too have the fondest memories of bbqing at Chief and Mary's on their deck. Those were the days! Every now and then I will get a wiff of something that smells just like their house, and it takes me back every time.
I love it.
Hi Jill! This is Jenni (Girts) Bobo. I loved this post, it made really miss Maryland. I absolutely love Maryland and while Georgia is pretty, there are no fireflies here at night and it's way too hot. I also LOVED your Shutterfly books. What a cute idea. I hope all is well with you guys! Your girls are beautiful. My blog is private now but if you want an invite, just email me at jennibobo@gmail.com. Please put more pictures up of your girls, they're so cute!
You took me to a whole other world with that story! Thanks for helping me escape 110 degrees today.
Jill that was really a fun post. I guess we all remember the shock of actually seeing fireflys and the woods. Life in Maryland has really enriched all of our lives.
Mom
wow! That was so "magical" for me. i think i'll have to steal this one too--so well written. what a wonderful flashback.
Post a Comment