CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Red Wing



There once lived an Indian Maid,
A shy little prairie maid,
Who sang a lay, a love song gay
As o'er the plain she'd while the time away;
She loved a warrior bold, this shy little maid of old,
But blythe and gay he rode one day
To battle far away.

Chorus:
Now the moon shines tonight on pretty Red Wing,
The breezes sighing, the night birds crying;
While far beneath the stars her brave is sleeping,
Poor Red Wing weeping her heart away.

She watched through the day and night,
She kept the campfire bright
While under the sky each night she would lie
And dream about his coming by and by;
But when the braves returned,
The heart of Red Wing yearned,
For brave one day her warrior gay
Fell bravely in the fray.

I love these melancholy songs. They are dreamy, and the tune makes them hauntingly romantic.
My first memory of this song was when my dad would work nights, I vividly remember looking out the front window waiting for him to come home and my mom would sing this song as I waited. I remember it sounding so sad. I've always loved it.

3 comments:

JENNIFRO said...

This is a great idea. This was for sure one of the most memorable songs of my childhood--it's even with Wynken and Blynken. Reminds me of mom, and Gma Georgia and Parowan, for some reason. i'm going to copy all of these songs from you and, oh yeah, my birthday post. I'm going to have one big honkin book.

jill said...

Be my guest my friend!

jill said...

Wynken, Blynken and Nod is ALL dad, I've got to post that...