Nothing kicks off autumn for me like the Waterford Festival in Waterford Va. If I was more ambitious I would give you the history of Waterford and all the little tidbits of information that might make this post more interesting, but, all I can say about Waterford is this, it's in Virginia, it's an old Civil War town, it was established in 1733, it's breathtakingly beautiful, and I absolutely love it!
Jennifer and I got the kids together and headed down to the fair Friday morning. We ran into a few little problems that led me to believe that maybe this beautiful autumn day wasn't going to turn out to be so beautiful afterall. But, once those little problems got ironed out and we were on our way it couldn't have been more fabulous!
After Jennifer and I arrived at the fair we realized that doing the festival as a group just wasn't going to work. She has older kids that appreciate looking at the booths and everything in them, my kids were there for the food. So... after a few pictures, we parted ways and promised to keep in touch.
I was in the best mood that day. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. My kids were being so cute and the people all around us were so friendly. I'm serious, the fair was packed with smiling people, but, given the weather and Waterford itself, it was impossible not to feel happy. The air felt crisp, looked clear, and smelled delicious. As me and my girls walked down the street I kept telling myself to walk slower so the girls wouldn't have to rush, to let them be, so they'd enjoy themselves as much as I, to take my time, so I could take everything in. It was truly a glorious day!

The fond farewell, this picture was taken as Jennifer and I parted ways, we promised we would write.

Little Elizabeth got her silhouette cut. It turned out darling! Caroline got hers cut by this same woman last year.

Here's dear Eggy with Camille. The Martinis family were all there, it was SO much fun to run into them.

I heard this man's wife tell a group of tweens that his music box would be running long after their ipods gave out, I wonder where she got her information?

Elizabeth would stop in the middle of the road, sit down, and pucker her lip like she was sad, then she would hop up, smile and run toward me (should I be worried?).

This is a cute little act. An Irish woman would play Celtic music on the xylophone while these little puppets danced.

One of the beautiful homes in Waterford.

I would have liked to know how old this house was.

I ran into Diane and Teressa, it was another GREAT surprise!

Charming little lane.

Cute Caroline.

The pictures of the barbershop quartet should be reversed. I ran into them eating lunch and took their picture,
then, I watched them sing. I couldn't help but use the black and white setting because seeing any barbershop quartet makes me feel like I've stepped back in time. I feel like these guys could be on the front cover of an old newspaper.

The quartet was so sweet and very willing to let me get a picture. Here's the black and white effect again, I can't help myself.

I love the houses.

I had the most delicious pumpkin ice cream, the girls had chocolate. They decided that after theirs was gone it was time to eat mine. They were being so cute I handed it over.

This picture speaks for itself.

It's little but charming. I love their entrances.

Another cute entrance.

Hanging candles, aren't they so pretty?

A beautiful beginning to a beautiful day. We took this picture as soon as we parted ways with Jennifer. We had to walk down a steep hill to get to the fair, on the way down Caroline saw a nice looking woman sitting on a low stone wall, she said "that's my favorite lady." She's a piece of work.
14 comments:
Wow! I get to be the first commenter? So lucky!
Yay! A NEW post!! I started to worry a little Jill.
I loved all of the different things you took pictures of. I especially loved the little charming homes and entrances. They all looked so cozy and quaint.. Loved it!
So glad you had such a fun day!!
That's it, I'm moving back to Maryland! There is a private school here called The Waterford School. I bet that's what it is named after! Looks like you all had a wonderful time! Can't wait to have you visit. We are going to have Robby's little friend party while you're here. Get ready for some Pin the Tail on the Donkey!
I loved this post! What a fun day, I wish I could have been there. Too funny about Elizabeth running in the middle of the street. I really think it is in your girl's blood to be really funny!
Waterford.... Who knew?!
Love the ice cream face, and the cottage pictures are beautiful!
Well the Miller's definitely wanted to go but George's soccer career got in the way. How rude...Looks like it was a blast. I need a day like that.
This was my best day there EVER! We all had such a fabulous time! Great post and wonderful pictures!
looks dreamy and fun. What was i doing that day? Oh yeah, laying flat on my bootie.
Jill,
I agree with Jennifer, your pictures were AMAZING!! It looked so wonderful to be able to walk around and I loved all the doors to the houses. I also was intrigued with the candles and all of their colors. Breathtaking!! I applaud you again on the post and well done it was a fun read! -Suzanne
I am so glad you girls took me there a few years ago. Even just to think about Waterford conjures up the best memories and feelings. It is really so much more amazing than one can even write. Is there a better time than October?
One day I really will retire and I am spending all of October in MD. That's a promise and a warning.
MOM
Great pics Giggy!! Fall in Maryland is bliss. If you haven't been out this way, girls come visit. You will not want to leave. Jennifer was supposed to move out here for 2 years....famous last words. I thought I would give it at least a year... It has now been 11 years. Maryland is really nice. Thanks for the post Jill. You are a cupcake!!
Haha. Those pictures were pretty dang awesome. I can never get enough of your little rugrats. I wish i could have gone. Looks like it was a nice little day. Good picture taking skills. Way to capture the candid moments ;)
Jill, what a fun day you had. And what grace it took to recognize that parting ways might be the best pathway to success, although sad for you as I'm sure it was part of the lure of going. Did your ways ever cross again? It makes me want to pack up the Pagleys and take them next year. Remind me when it's time. :)
Caroline and Elizabeth are so incredibly darling!! You guys all look so great. And yes, you were made to be an east-coaster - everything there is so you.
I miss Waterford. I pretty much miss the East. I'm still trying to find charming places like this in the South. I think I need to try Tennessee.
Post a Comment